Wednesday, January 13, 2010

REAL LIFE/REAL DEATH Chapter Eighteen

“HELP”

I tensed up, tried not to show it, briefly debated the merits of life in jail, and decided to just swallow my whiskey.

Koslowski sat down at the bar next to me and ordered a drink.

I said nothing.

After a few sips from his beer, he turned to me and said, “Ain’t you got nothin to say to me, Frank?”

I said nothing. I confess, when I’m drunk, I’m not much of a quick thinker. I’m impulsive, yes, but that’s not the same as being quick witted. Right now my impulses were telling to me to bite Koslowski in the jugular. It took all my thinking power to decide not to do that. Yet.

“You know,” he continued, “you’re a wanted man right now. You know you killed that guy back there? Every cop in town is looking for you.”

“So fucking arrest me.” I croaked.

“Do you see a badge? I’m off duty. Besides, that guy you killed, he was one of Gurly’s men. Gurly ain’t happy. He put the word out to the street--”

He left a tasteful pause before finishing his sentence, “—dead or alive.”

I was finding it harder to think by the second.

“So, which one’s it going to be?” I asked.

“Neither. I don’t give a shit about you, Frank. I’m interested in a much bigger prize, and I think you know where she is.”

“Fuck you.”

“Frank, you don’t get it. You’re fucked six ways to Sunday. Wanted by the Police and by Gurly. Every person in town is looking for you. Right now I’m the closest thing to a friend you got. Like I said, I’m not interested in you, but I am interested in something else. And I’m willing to help you out to get it. I’m offering you a deal here.”

“Are you deaf? Fuck you.”

“Do you understand what I’m fucking telling you? Before the night is over, you are either going to be in jail or at the bottom of a lake. But I’m here to give you a third option. You can be back in your shitty apartment sleeping off a hangover. I can fix things for you. Provided you help me out.”

I sucked the ice out of the bottom of my glass.

“I know she was with you. I know you met her friends here. I just need a room number. You can walk out that door right now, go home and get a good night sleep, and never think about this again. All you have to do is give me the number.”

Before I even thought about answering, I heard another familiar voice behind me. This time, the one I was expecting earlier.

“Frank, are you through yet? You know you’re not doing anyone any good by drinking. But I guess you don’t care much about that, do you?”

She was mad, go figure. She also hadn’t seen Koslowski, or maybe she didn’t recognize him. I dunno, but it was obvious she didn’t realize she was interrupting a conversation, one sided though it may have been.

But it didn’t matter, Koslowksi fucked it all up in no time.

First, he quietly said to me, “C’mon Frank, don’t make me threaten the girl.” Then he turned around and stood up. Sandy recognized him.

“Oh Jesus,” she whimpered.

Koslowski put on his official policeman’s voice, “Everything’s alright ma’am. I just need your cooperation. He grabbed her by the arm and said more sternly, “Tell me which room their in and nobody will get hurt.”

Those were the last words out of Koslowski’s mouth because I smashed my bar stool into the back of his fucking head.

Sandy and I ran out of the bar. I didn’t check to see if he was still breathing.

No comments: